Have you ever made hand pies? Or homemade pastries? These little raspberry-orange pies were my very first experience. Driscoll’s challenged me to come up with a raspberry pie dish, so I stepped up to the plate and invested a sluggish Sunday refining these infants.
That day, I checked various entire grain flour mixes, experienced an impressive coconut oil crust-shattering stop working and popped raspberries when I simply could not withstand.
Lastly, I was lastly rewarded with completely golden, flaky crust twisted around juicy raspberry-orange filling. Raspberries are the star component in the filling, which may appear a little unanticipated provided the time of year. I’ve constantly associated raspberries with blazing hot summertime days, however did you understand that there’s really a 2nd raspberry season that lasts till the very first frost? Like all other sweet fall fruit and vegetables, raspberries play well with warming spices and winter season citrus.
These portable little pies aren’t finish without that orange zest-flecked cinnamon glaze, which contributes a Pop Tart-level irresistibility and some enjoyable abstract stripes. I can’t picture a kid or a grownup who would not smile when they take a bite of these unanticipated deals with around the vacations.
Fair caution: hand pies can be a little difficult, however if I can handle them, then I am positive you can, too. The secret to a workable dough and completely crackling crust is cold butter you desire little pieces of butter therein, which develop flaky pockets in the dough.
I extremely suggest making this dough the night in the past, as it’s more workable after an over night rest in the fridge. I likewise suggest presenting the dough in a cool space, which should not be too tough to discover in November and December. My home was way too warm when I presented the hand pies you see here (80 degrees at the end of October!), so if that takes place to you, switch on the a/c unit and chill the dough once again, as typically as essential.
Given that pastries can be daunting, I took additional care typing up information directions on how to make these little raspberry pies. You can discover my dish listed below and on Driscoll’s site over here! Make certain to have a look at all the other vacation raspberry deals with developed by other blog writers and dish designers over here, too.
This post is a paid recommendation from Driscoll’s Go to www.driscolls.com for more berry dishes and to enter their vacation sweepstakes.
Raspberry Hand Pies with Cinnamon-Orange Glaze
- Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prepare Time: 30 minutes
- Overall Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 12 hand pies 1 x
- Classification: Dessert
These portable raspberry-orange deals with function scrumptious maple taste and a touch of warming cinnamon. The entire grain dough is extremely crisp and flaky. You can utilize it to make full-sized pies, too!
- 2 cups entire wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white entire wheat flour or routine entire wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) cold saltless butter
- 8 to 12 tablespoons ice water
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange passion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 bundles (6 ounces each) Driscoll’s Raspberries
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon orange passion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To prepare the dough: In a medium blending bowl, integrate both flours and the salt, then blend to mix. Slice one stick of butter down the center lengthwise, then turn the butter a quarter turn and slice it down the center lengthwise once again, so you have actually quartered the butter. Slice throughout the butter to make cubes. Repeat with the staying stick of butter. Toss about half of the cubed butter into the bowl.
- Working rapidly, crush each piece of butter in between your fingers under the flour so it develops into a flat, irregularly shaped disc. Continue with staying cubes, then include the rest and repeat. Get handfuls of buttery flour in your palms and press to separate the butter simply a bit more. Drizzle 4 tablespoons ice water over the mix and stir to integrate. Repeat with an extra 2 tablespoons ice water, stirring to integrate, and once again with another 2 tablespoons. Combine with a spoon till it begins coming together into a practical dough. The mix must be wet enough that you can squeeze it in between your palms and it will stick; if it will not, attempt including another 2 tablespoons of water or more, simply till the mix sticks. Divide the mix into 2 similarly sized halves.
- Location 2 square pieces of cling wrap close by, then form each pie dough into a round disc about 5″ in size and cover it securely in cling wrap. Cool for a minimum of 1 hour or approximately 3 days (this is essential since cold butter is the essential to a flaky crust!).
- To prepare the filling: In a medium blending bowl, integrate the maple syrup, starch, vanilla extract, orange passion and cinnamon. Blend till there are no clumps of starch staying. Include the raspberries and carefully toss with a spoon to coat the berries in a light, even layer. Location the bowl in the fridge to chill in the meantime.
- To prepare the hand pies: Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a big baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured surface area, utilize a rolling pin to roll half of the cooled pie dough into a circle about 12-inches throughout and in between ⅛” to 1/4″ thick. Utilize the top of a drinking glass 3 1/2″ in size (a working glass is best) to cut 12 circles. Re-roll the scraps if essential. Thoroughly move each round to your ready flat pan. Repeat with the staying pie dough.
- Brush half of the rounds with egg wash, then leading each of those rounds with a heaping tablespoon of raspberry filling (about 7 raspberries per hand pie). Location another round on top of each raspberry-covered round. With a fork, carefully push down on the external 1/4″ of the rounds to seal the hand pies, working your method around till they are entirely sealed. Carefully poke a couple of holes on the top of each hand pie with the branches of your fork, then brush egg wash on top of each hand pie. Bake for 25 to thirty minutes, till the hand pies are deeply golden brown. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let the hand pies cool for a minimum of thirty minutes prior to glazing.
- To prepare the glaze: In a little bowl, integrate the powdered sugar, orange juice, maple syrup, orange passion, cinnamon and salt. Blend till the mix is well mixed and entirely smooth. It must be thick however pourable (if it’s too thick to drizzle, mix in a bit more orange juice). Utilize a spoon to sprinkle a striped pattern backward and forward over the cooled hand pies. Await 5 to 10 minutes for the glaze to set and after that serve! Remaining hand pies are best kept covered and cooled for approximately 3 days.
▸ Nutrition Info
The details revealed is a price quote offered by an online nutrition calculator. It must not be thought about an alternative to an expert nutritional expert’s guidance. See our complete nutrition disclosure here.
Check Out Complete Short Article https://cookieandkate.com/raspberry-hand-pies-recipe/ .